Six students from universities across WA were given a helping hand last Thursday night, when they took home one of the prestigious WA Mining Club Scholarship Program Awards.
The scholarships, each worth $10,000, provide financial support and mentorship to outstanding undergraduate students enrolled in mining disciplines in Western Australia. Entrants included students from relevant faculties at The University of Western Australia, Curtin University, Curtin University’s WA School of Mines, Edith Cowan University or Murdoch University..
This year’s winners were:
- Engineering Scholarship (Co-Sponsored By Western Areas Ltd) – Mitchell Thompson, Curtin University
- Environmental Scholarship (Co-Sponsored By 360 Environmental) – Abbey Dunne, University of Western Australia
- Female Student In A Technical Mining Discipline Scholarship (Co-Sponsored By Mount Gibson Iron Limited) – Lia Cherico, Murdoch University
- Geology Scholarship (Co-Sponsored By Independence Group NL) – Chris Manners, University of Western Australia
- Metallurgy Scholarship (Co-Sponsored By Midas – METS Engineering) – Natasha Farr, Murdoch University
- Diversity Scholarship (Co-Sponsored By Newmont Asia Pacific) – Kaylah Paskins, University of Western Australia
The evening was a wonderful occasion to celebrate the mining industry’s future leaders. VIP guests included The Minister for Mines and Petroleum, Hon. Bill Marmion; the Head of Project Function and BHP Billiton Iron Ore, Lee-Anne de Bruin; WA Mining Club members; industry associates; students and their families.